Friday 17 February 2012

Hey, thanks Cupid!


I don’t like Valentines Day.  

I am a guy, so there are all the normal guy reasons for not liking valentines: It’s impossible to find reservations, there are endless expectations and I hope you enjoy eating Kraft Dinner for a month because there goes half your paycheck.

But it goes deeper than that. I am not that cheap, and I am certainly not heartless .I just don’t buy into the mindless concept that love and relationships should be celebrated on one day.  

Valentines is meant to be a day where people have the opportunity to celebrate their relationships with the people that are special to them. Good idea right? Everyone likes to know they are important. Everyone likes to know that somebody cares. I don’t hate the idea. But I also didn’t hate the idea of communism. That worked out so well.

Here is the reality.  We have created this holiday where people who don’t have someone special in their lives feel alone and isolated and those who are lucky enough to have someone special in their lives get to spend a significant amount of money on chocolates, cards, teddy bears, dinners, etc. The list goes on. You’re welcome Hershey and Hallmark. You can pay your employees for another year.

Why can’t we just appreciate the people in our lives everyday and skip this Valentines garbage? Hershey’s and Hallmark is not the recipe for successful relationship.  Consumerism is taking over our lives. Stop the madness. Celebrate your life and the people in it everyday, not just one day in the middle of February.

-Blaze 

1 comment:

  1. Blaze,

    I actually agree with your post. I believe that Valentines day is a day to celebrate the relationships you have with the ones you love. Unfortunately, it has blown up into a holiday that is about how much you spend and how much time and effort you put into your gifts. Hallmark just needed a way to make money in between Christmas and Easter. I feel bad for all the men who loose sleep and stress over this holiday!

    Keep up the great rants,

    Dayna

    ReplyDelete