Friday 24 February 2012

Things like this shouldn’t happen.


I saw something disgusting today.

We are lucky. We as a developed society have the opportunity to bask in the glory of freedom. Our forefathers established our constitutions, our soldiers defended it, and therefore we as citizens of Canada, America and the rest of the developed world get to do the things we want to do, say the things we want to say, and act however we choose (within the stipulations of our respective laws) without facing repercussions. 

It couldn’t get much better and most days I feel like I couldn’t be any luckier. I feel like I have it pretty good. But today I saw something I wish I didn’t.

I was linked a video by a close friend. This video is rather old so I was surprised that I hadn’t seen it earlier. What I saw was shocking:

Wow. In America?. In North America?. In any free land? I can’t tell you I’ve ever seen anything like that before. I am sure it’s happened but fortunately for them it was never caught on video. What’s worse is that it wasn’t the fault of the security on duty. They were obviously ordered to stop the “demonstrations” by somebody of higher authority. They were just doing their job. But why is this somebody’s job?

Scenes like this is why it is so important for us as a society to stand up for our beliefs. There are rules. There are laws. But as citizens of a free land we deserve to have the opportunity to have our rights. So stand up for them.

Stand up for what’s important. Things like this shouldn’t happen.

-Blaze

2 comments:

  1. We have a fundamental right to free speech, and it was unfortunate that something like this had to happen. It is funny how the people who order security to do these terrible acts are never really shown. If you are giving orders to carry out something like this, I feel you have a public responsibility to at least address the media. Do you know if there was any media conference of some kind held after this incident Blaze?

    A very interesting blog post. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my research I was not able to determine whether or a not a formal press conference was held to recognize the events that happened that day. It is possible that it is just not making itself presentable to me when I search or it could be that it's not there.

    I agree with you 100%. Mistakes happen. But when an organization fails to address it and at least attempt to offer an explanation of what happened a problem arises. It is, as you point out, equally disturbing that we as an audience never get to see who actually calls the shots, just the individuals who do what there told and take the blame.

    Thanks for your comment Chris.

    -Blaze

    ReplyDelete