Thursday 9 February 2012

Let your game speak


Inspiration drives profit. People want to be like the athletes and celebrities they admire. That's why they pay astronomical amounts of money for items that cost only a fraction to produce. Nike invented the endorsement. Michael Jordan re-invented Nike. Now, Nike sportswear turns everything they touch into gold.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have been an unpaid employee of Nike sportswear ever since the day I saw Michael Jordan in game six of the 1998 NBA Playoffs. I was only 8 years old but I already knew that the guy was the best player to ever step onto the court. A hero. A legend.

Michael had Air Jordans therefore I wanted Air Jordans. So did every other basketball fan in the entire world. Not a bad idea Nike, that’s a pretty good spokesperson to have for your brand … I guess.

His Airness has been in countless advertisements for the brand over the years but here is my favorite. Second Generation uses the moves and moments that made Jordan a legend through the use of up and comers all over the world varying in sizes, genders and races. This fan-made video showcases it’s brilliance by displaying the ad beside real-time footage of Jordan in these moments. Check it out.


The actual ad on YouTube has over 2.3 million views. Not bad for a television ad that was produced almost six years ago. Everyone wants to be like Mike. So create a shoe that allows them to do that and than go create an ad allowing them to envision themselves in those moments. I know I bought a pair of Jordans that year. 

Can't get much better than that. 

-Blaze

1 comment:

  1. Your intro speaks volumes Blaze. Inspiration truly does drive profit. I recall a video (I think you showed me a couple months back) about PK Subban in a Nike (or was it Adidas?) ad, showing his inspiration with hockey and the spirit of the Habs.

    Sincerity and true character are values customers take pride in. Sell those things, with the individuals who fit with your brand, and you have yourself a dynamic product/service!

    Good post Blaze.

    ReplyDelete